Saturday, July 10, 2010

I don't have car insurance, should I purchase rental car Supplemental Liability Insurance?

I live in new york, and don't have a car and don't have car insurance, I am thinking to rent a car for a cross country trip should I purchase rental car Supplemental Liability Insurance? or it only work when you have an primary auto policy. For the car collison I have american express they charge me 15 dollars for 50k coverage for up to 30 days rental, what I mostly worry is the liability for medical and for other party. Thank you.I don't have car insurance, should I purchase rental car Supplemental Liability Insurance?
Yes, of course you should get the liability insurance. Also.... Check with the credit card you will be using to pay for the rental. Often they will cover the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) part which can save you some money.I don't have car insurance, should I purchase rental car Supplemental Liability Insurance?
hell yes you should
YES ! Get the extra insurance ! It COULD save you thou$$$$ands out of your own pocket !
Yes in fact I would be surprised if it wasn't mandatory in your situation,
you also need to consider the collision/comprehensive coverage on the rental; if you have an accident or say for instance, someone hits this auto and leaves the scene. (parking lot at a hotel would be an example) you would be responsible for the repairs to the rental. another example could be hail damage to the rental.





the liability coverage pays for damages caused to another auto or injuries to other persons if at fault for an accident.





since you dont own a car, no auto insurance, so you should get full coverage on your rental. as for the american express coverage, better check out if there are caveats on what they will or will not cover.





one other thing, call a local agent in new york and ask if possible to take out a short term auto policy for this rental. since many in new york do not own cars, there maybe a market for this. if so, ask the pricing and then compare with rental pricing.





good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment